Thursday 13 March 2014

Degustation box - A Monthly Surprise


The Degustation box is a new concept where you get a monthly subscription and each month you get a surprise box in the post. Its full of a number of random items and you don't know what's coming and it it changes each month. I was sent the February box with no idea what was going to be included.

I have been asked to make some recipes with the contents of the box, now this is really random group of products and very difficult to make anything, for instance there was energy drinks and apple crisps and  biscuits but I thought I would try and make a bread-and-butter pudding using the ready sliced malt loaf Soreen Tostie Bread. We love malt loaf and now you can get it ready sliced and I thought it would make a really nice bread and butter pudding.


I buttered the slices of the Soreen Toastie Loaf and layered them in the baking dish.


Mixing 5 eggs with approximately 1 cup of milk and poured it over the slices.

I let the egg soak in for about 20 minutes before baking in the oven at 180o for about 45 minutes.


It was bubbling when I took it out of thre oven, let stand for about 5 minutes before serving and a quick dust with icing sugar makes it look very exotic.


This pudding would be lovely sliced and served with cream, ice cream, custard or even yoghurt.


If you would like to try a Degustabox for yourself you can get a discount  of £3.00 using this code when you register online:-
MTZPG

You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter. Thanks for the surprise box Degustabox.  I did not receive any payment to write this and the recipes and opinions are my own.





 


20 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot about these boxes. It would be good if they included more healthy snacks in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that Soreen Toast Bread Heidi, I had some sent to me before Christmas and we all loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this toasted too, but the bread and butter pudding was a fun experiment.

      Delete
  3. I've not heard about these boxes. What an odd bunch of ingredients to put together. Your pudding on the other hand sounds lovely. I love Soreen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a strange collection of products - nothing goes with anything else. The pudding was nice though.

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of a malt loaf pudding, bet it was really tasty. I made my first ever malt loaf a couple of weeks ago and it tasted nearly as good as Soreen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love malt loaf, the new thick sliced one is great for toasting.

      Delete
  5. Pudding looks great! I should make it myself one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea heidi...one of those I'd rather not have heard about...far too tempting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough it wasn't as sweet as you would expect, and went very well with cream and ice cream!

      Delete
  7. Love malt loaf and can imagine how tasty and delicious it would be served like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It did make a really nice pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I bet that bread pudding was amazing! Well done you, I think I'd have struggled to come up with a recipe!
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh Soreen. It reminds me of (boarding) school, in a good way. We used to club together and buy it for tea. I loved it. Thanks for the reminder. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely toasted too with loads of butter.

      Delete
  11. I have read a lot about these I am reluctant to get one because I am always worried that 2-3 item sin the box might be what I don't use since its a random selection.

    ReplyDelete